Ireland Bike Tour
Prefer to bike independently? Check out our self-guided Western Shores Ireland bike tour.
- Trip Feedback
- Scenic rural cycling tour through County Clare and Connemara
- Visit the Cliffs of Moher, ancient beehive huts, and Dun Aengus ring fort
- Two nights in Doolin, famous for its pubs and music seisiuns
- Guided hike in the Burren National Park with a local naturalist
- Overnight stay on Inishmore in the Aran Islands
- Bike past glacial valleys and lakes in County Mayo's "Joyce Country"
- Stay and dine at Lisloughrey Lodge, a boutique hotel on the Ashford Castle estate
- Shop for all things Irish, from bodhráns to hand-knit sweaters
Day 1: We'll meet you in Shannon for your transfer to the lively fishing village of Doolin, for a two-night stay with ocean views. You'll visit the 700’ high Cliffs of Moher, followed by a warmup bike ride to the spa town of Lisdoonvarna and Doolin Craft Shop. Our welcome dinner stars fresh local cuisine at critically-acclaimed Roadford House. (6 or 15 mi.)
Day 2: A scenic coastal route leads to the fishing village of Ballyvaughan for lunch overlooking the harbor. Learn about the unique flora and geology of the Burren on an afternoon hike with a local naturalist. Return to Doolin by van or via the famous switchbacks of Corkscrew Hill. This evening, celebrate with pints and tunes at McGann’s or O’Connor’s, famed for their traditional music seisiuns.(26 or 48 mi.)
Day 3: Morning ferry to Inishmore, largest of the Aran Islands, for a free day to explore by bike or foot. Visit Dun Aengus ring fort, monastic “beehive” huts, and the ruins of The Seven Churches. We’ll be welcomed as old friends at Kilmurvey House, a gracious Georgian manor and twenty-year Easy Rider favorite. (7-18 mi.)
Day 4: Morning ferry to Rosaveel, County Galway. Views of heather-covered mountains and the Connemara coast as we cross the Cashel bog to Clifden. Two-night stay on the waterfront at stylish Quay House, originally built as the Harbour Master’s residence. (41 mi.)
Day 5: Free day for shopping, sightseeing, and biking the aptly-named “Sky Road,” with bird’s-eye views of Clifden and Killary Harbor against the backdrop of the Twelve Bens. Long option traces tiny coastal lanes to the picturesque harbor in Cleggan. (0, 10, 21, or 31 mi.)
Day 6: Spectacular vistas of Killary Fjord and the Maumturk Mountains highlight our final day of biking. After lunch, pedal along a lush glacial valley and the shores of Lough Nafooey to the village of Cong in County Mayo. Enjoy a farewell celebration and Old World hospitality at Lisloughrey Lodge, on the grounds of Ashford Castle. (24, 49, or 55 mi.)
Day 7: After breakfast, spend a leisurely morning roaming the castle grounds, from its formal gardens and forested trails to the shores of Lough Corrib. Noontime transfer to your choice of Galway train station or Shannon.
"I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming beauty of Ireland. The riding was superb but was surpassed by the scenery and charming people."
– L.S., Georgia
“Seeing Ireland from the saddle is the only way to experience such a dynamic and beautiful country.”
– L.K., Colorado
"I loved the B&Bs—the breakfasts were phenomenal!"
- T.A., Indiana
"The beauty of the routes, friendliness of the innkeepers, and of course, the scenery, music and people of Ireland made it a once-in-a-lifetime trip."
– B.S. and J.K, California
"Having Irish guides was a great asset - their knowledge, experience, and humor added immensely to the enjoyment of the trip."
– K.V., Connecticut
"The scenery was as beautiful as I'd imagined. The accommodations comfortable, food great, and our guides were fantastic - lots of fun."
- 6 nights accommodations in historic country inns and traditional B&Bs (double occupancy, private bath)
- 4 dinners, 2 picnic lunches, and all breakfasts
- Use of a top-quality 24- speed Trek hybrid bicycle
- Detailed maps, written directions, and background information
- Daily choice of mileage options; total mileage of 104-208 miles
- Two experienced Irish guides
- Support van to carry luggage, provide snacks, and offer assistance and lifts
- Guided Burren walk, storytelling evening
- Ferry trip to the Aran Islands
- Transfers from Shannon and to Shannon or Galway at specified times
- Gratuities for all accommodations and group meals
- Comprehensive tour preparation information and training tips
- Easy Rider cycling jersey and water bottle
- Airfare is not included.