Portugal Bike Tour
- Trip Feedback
- Bike the Atlantic seaboard to land's end at Sagres
- Rugged sea cliffs of the Săo Vicente coast
- Roman ruins of Miróbriga
- Ancient Moorish fortress of Silves
- Descend through the Serra de Monchique, highest point in the Algarve
- Cruise through sea caves and grottoes of Ponta de Piedade
- Walking tour of historic Lagos
- Fresh-off-the-boat seafood
- Beach it in the Algarve!
Day 1: Morning transfer from Lisbon Airport to Santiago do Cacém, whose Moorish past can be sensed in its steep winding streets and impressive castle walls overlooking the Serra de Grândola. Our warm-up ride passes through cork and olive groves, with stops to tour the Roman ruins of Miróbriga, a vintage working windmill, and the crescent beaches of Porto Covo. Dream away at the Herdade da Matinha, a country estate surrounded by nature and paintings by our innkeeper. (18 or 22 mi.)
Day 2: Rice fields and traditional villages highlight our bike ride to the magnificent Praia Grande. Picnic at the lighthouse overlooking the headlands of Cabo Sardăo, and pedal an off-road path high above the coastline for breathtaking views of sea stacks and the crashing Atlantic. In Zambujeira do Mar, our simple inn is just blocks from an inviting beach. (32 or 52 mi.)
Day 3: Welcome to the Algarve! A backcountry route leads through vineyards and farmland to Aljezur, the last town to be reclaimed from the Moors. Continue down the coast to Sagres, where Prince Henry founded his 15th-century navigational school. Every room has an ocean view at our four-star cliff-top hotel. (41 or 54 mi.)
Day 4: Spin to the towering cliffs of Cabo de Săo Vicente, the southwesternmost point in Europe and once the end of the known world. Turning eastward, we follow the Algarve coast past tiny fishing villages and secluded beaches en route to Lagos for a two-night stay. A late afternoon walking tour reveals the city's colorful history, as the center of trade with Africa during Moorish times, and capital of the Algarve when it was an independent kingdom. (31 or 38 mi.)
Day 5: An optional morning ride starts at Fóia (2932’), the highest point in the Algarve. Our cycling route descends through cool mountain forests in the Serra de Monchique, as we pedal past coastal vistas and turn-of-the-century resort villages. Vineyards, carob, and orange groves line the road into Silves, where we’ll visit its impessive 10th-century Moorish fortress. Return to Lagos, with time to shop or explore the beautiful beaches of Meia Praia and Donha Ana. (0 or 28 mi.)
Day 6: Morning boat cruise through the fanciful rock formations and sea grottoes of Ponta da Piedade, followed by our farewell lunch. Depart Lagos on the afternoon train to Lisbon, or retire in the Algarve!
"Great trip! Great guides! Great hotels! Great adventure! Great fun! I'd travel with you again in a heartbeat."
- J.G., California
"We had a ball!"
- D.H., California
"We wanted the "insider" tour feeling and we got it. The tour captured the wonderful pace and essence of Portuguese life."
- K.T. and E.M., Massachusetts
"The tour exceeded our expectations. Portugal should be a must see, and it's even better by bike! Well worth the cost."
- E.H. & S.H., Iowa
"I was not prepared for such a spectacularly beautiful coastline!"
- M.A., Alaska
"You truly understand the power of the ocean here."
- T. S., Kentucky
"The coastal scenery was amazing, along with the serene inland biking. Picking fresh figs along the way was yummy!"
"The coastline of Portugal with endless rock cliffs, pristine beaches, and surf crashing on the shore is a spectacular sight I will long remember. Experiencing it on a bicycle made it that much better."
- R.L., New York
"The guides were amazing-so informative, helpful and genuinely fun."
- J.R., New York
- 5 nights accommodations in small inns and seaside hotels (double occupancy, private bath)
- 4 dinners with wine, 2 picnic lunches, and all breakfasts
- Use of a top-quality 27-speed Marin hybrid bicycle
- Detailed maps, written directions, and background information
- Choice of mileage options on most days; total mileage of 101 to 192 miles
- Two experienced, multilingual Portuguese guides
- Support van to carry luggage, provide snacks, and offer assistance and lifts
- Lagos sea grottoes cruise
- Transfer from Lisbon Airport to Santiago do Cacém
- Gratuities for all accommodations and group meals
- Comprehensive tour preparation information and training tips
- Easy Rider cycling jersey and water bottle
- Airfare is not included.